Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Martha Stewart Probably Did This Better

I'm going to skip the a.d.d. process of searching for some kind of apothecary cabinet for crafty storage then frustrated I couldn't find what I wanted for cheap actually designing my own and getting continually snowed on all month so no woodworking outside. My design is the shit though, I'm going to make it when it warms up. I have until then to learn about creating and following a woodworking plan though, that should be fun.



I went to Ikea to see what their desk storage looked like and found some wire drawers I will be spray painting soonish (seriously, doing that while snowing sucks). Yay for all of my crap, well, some of it. But there's a lot of little parts and pieces that won't stay put in a big basket drawer. I've been saving the cardboard from cereal boxes I get from Costco so that I can do more embossed stuff, it's the right thickness and well hey, it's the perfect size. And I get 2 small storage compartments per box.




 I found it was easier to measure and cut flat so I opened up the bottom.




The height of the drawer is 5" so I measured 4.5" from the bottoms.




You gotta cut out the cereal box tops!



Now I have 2 boxes that need bottoms to be glued back together, you figure this part out because, seriously...



 


All done! Now cover with scrapbook paper, or not, you gotta class this shite up people. We can't look like the Clampets until after the wedding reception.





 I covered the inside of the long one because I put two together for knitting needles and didn't want to see how much overlap I had from not paying attention to the measuring.



You can do these in every size and configuration you need and organize your crap. When looking around online for ideas I saw a lot of ones covered in fabric or made of heavy canvas, but neither were cheap and allowed me to not have to drive anywhere to get supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment