Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A secret necklace holder

I found a really cool idea on craftster.org and stole it, beat it up and left it dying in a ditch somewhere. Ever since I was a kid I've always loved the idea of secret passageways and hidden spots and this was perfect for me (to make) and for the birthday girl. It's a painting that is hinged on a necklace holder. You hang it on the wall and the painting opens into the secret hiding place.


I had a canvas that was the right size, 12"x12"( it was dependant on how big I wanted the box to be). I added joint compound to the canvas in the shape of a tree and let it all dry. Then I painted the background, which I probably should have done first... after that was dry I painted the tree with metallics randomly. Using some scrap wood, I made the box and then added hooks and hinges.



And she loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment