Friday, September 11, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

It was pretty overcast for most of it which led to more time outside with the circular saw. I really need a good table saw if I'm going to make furniture though cause mine gouged the wood. The white is spackle to fill in holes and other marks. This wood was from a bedframe I made and no longer needed. It fits the clamps nicely and I've outlined where I can attach the dremmel drill press.

This is a stool I reupholstered with some ikea fabric and a foam cushion, the kind you tie to your chairs. I still need to cover the nails with another piece but it's close enough to done.


Since I now have a good work table and I want and need a decent kitchen table I bought some plywood and cut it to fit. It's about 8 inches longer and 3 inches wider than the original table top. It was covered in paint and glue from previous projects so I scraped it all off with turpenoid (odorless turpentine) and cleaned it off. I cut the wood and then screwed it onto the original top, rather than glueing and then screws, because I'm pretty sure I will destroy this at some point with a project and I want an easier way to redo it all. I stained it and sanded and at the last minute thought some stencils would look nice. It got all taped off and sprayed and once dry I put down a couple coats of polyeurethane and then sanded again. It looks great in my kitchen. Also, the original was from ikea with a metal frame which is still working fine so I kept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment