Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Kai's Birthday


I started with a paper mache book box and painted it to look like a book. I added a keyhole after. I also used a fan watercolor brush with a teeny bit of metallic gold at a time to create the pages look.


Inside I put put some handmade and some store bought goodies:

I bought this tin online and painted it, then decoupaged the image on top. After it dried I wiped some paint on it and then wiped off the excess (very watery venetian red acrylic).

I put a chain onto the key, it seemed to need it. I got the gold and the eyepatch at a party supply store.



This is an accordion book I made for him. Cardboard was covered in tea-dyed fabric. Then I added the story and pictures:





The map book - I painted a pirate map onto suede. Then I sewed on a backing, the tea fabric, and the labels. Because of the paint I had to fold it in half and clip it overnight so it would stay bent like a book. The ribbon ties perfectly and a button to cover the threadlines over it all.


Also, if you don't know how to make your own fabric printer paper it's pretty easy. Iron your fabric onto parchment paper and cut it to 8 1/2 x 11 inches. I printed off the labels and the compass on my dyed fabric and it came out perfectly.

The pages were also dyed with tea:



This kid is so stinkin' cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment